Re: [BKARTS] Re: [BKARTS] Re: bradel à plats rapportés

Hello

I have a German book that discribe something that looks very much like what
we call in French a "Bradel".
The name is "Deutsche Einband" or "Buecher mit schraegen Falz" with means
"German binding" or "Books with a groove. This groove is sometimes called
"French groove". There is indeed no Bradel (French Bradel to be careful)
without this groove.
So is it from French or German origin ? I guess it is from French origin in
French-speaking countries like mine, from German origin in Germany, and at
ramdom from one or the other in other countries.

What I learned from one of my teachers is that the German OR dutch binding
was introduced in France at the end of the 18th century par the French
bookbinder Bradel Sr, nephew and successor of Derome Jr.
Like Peter said, there are many variations on that technique, so it's
probably impossible at present time to know what was this German or Dutch
technique. Its possible that Bradel Sr made some improvements or
modifications to the original technique.

The problem of terminology in bookbinding is not simple. Take any two
languages (German and French, Spanish and English, Dutch and Italian, ...),
and you will see that there is no one to one correspondence between the
names of the binding techniques or styles. Even within one language, there
are many discrepancies.

I would not call Bradel the technique that Peter discribes in
http://www.philobiblon.com/casebd.htm but I'm afraid this could be
discussed endlessly. Besides, what is really important is the technique,
not the name or the origin of it.

Yves.

At 09:02 12/09/03 -0400, you wrote:
> From 19th century Alscace (so I was taught), and as such claimed by both
>Germans and French as their own. It's called Bradel by the French,
>generally just Deckenband (case binding) by the Germans. There are also
>variations on that technique.
>
>p.
>
>At 08:54 AM 9/12/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>>Yves,
>>
>>If I'm not mistaken, Bradel is German.
>>
>>Ed Stansell
>>http://www.bookrestoration.net

>Peter D. Verheyen
>Bookbinder & Conservator
><verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>The Book Arts Web & Book_Arts-L Listserv
><http://www.philobiblon.com>

Yves Gribaumont
Rue de la Ridale 9
B-5081 Meux