[BKARTS] Re: [BKARTS] Re: bradel à plats rapportés

I was trained in a formal apprendisship over journeyman to Master
Bookbinder degree in Germany.
I have also worked for over 10 years in france in some of the fines
binderies.

A german binding is made by gluing the strip for the spine down on a
piece of cardstock or chip board, the boards are attached to that chip,
so that the visible part of the spine strip points towards the inside
of the cover. The Boards are attached offset by 6-8 mm or 2-3/16 from
the spine.

A french bradel is made there the spine piece is glued to the spine by
means of a hollow or just glue point to keep it in place. The cover
stock is glued to the spine and the whole thing set in to Bords with
brass edges and secured in a press (job backer). After this is proper
dried, the boards are attached to a small strip of paper which is part
of the end paper treatment and sewn in.

The german Einband or binding is made on the table, as it will show the
Form after being cased in if hinge boards are used or not.
The bradel is always made in the press.

charles

Los angeles
L.A. Book Arts, Inc.