Re: [BKARTS] AIC stuff

Bruce,

Like you, I appose certification. There have been times, however, when I
thought it a good idea. There are "bookbinder/conservators" in my area who's work
borders on nasty. Yet, they continue to get customers because the public
doesn't know any better. I used to think that certification would eliminate this
fly in the ointment. However, I now believe "well enough" should be left alone.
Especially since we would be out of the frying pan and into the fire with the
AIC doing the certifying. Some conservator/restorers believe that every repair
should be obvious. Doubtless, those of that persuasion would not find the
work of restorers who hide repairs, to be acceptible; and vice-versa for that
matter.

Even if we attribute the highest of motives to the AIC, in their desire to
certify; that being to assure the best people are doing the work, are they
really able to do that? The result of a mistake in certification would either be a
less than capable craftsmen doing the work, or the ruination of a fine
craftsman who is passed over through the misguided efforts of a certfying body. In
the absence of a craft guild, I think it best to leave things as they are. The
bookbinding craft is not that healthy. I think certification would kill it.

Regards,
Ed Stansell
http://www.bookrestoration.net