Re: [BKARTS] AIC stuff

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:41:37AM -0400, Peter Verheyen wrote:
> In a perfect world, what would people expect from certification program?

Coming from the computer/Internet world I can definitely say there are good and bad
things about certification programs. The good thing is that a person had
enough commitment to sit down and learn how to take the test. The bad
thing is that they typically don't have very developed
troubleshooting/thinking skills. On average I've preferred working with
the self-taught folks more than the ones who've passed a specific test.
Human resource departments, however, seem to find it easier to look for
"standard" qualifications when sifting through resumes.

On the one hand I find a certification program very appealing. (At least
part of that is a leftover desire to get a few more letters after my name.) On the
other hand, I know from my current industry that people who've *only* worked
toward their certification aren't the best. I would suggest a
certification process that includes a portfolio of work would be better
than one with only a standardized test.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin