Re: [BKARTS] AIC Stuff

I think that by and large your assessment is correct, but in a profession
that has no real "brand identification" associated with it how would that
be different from now. I think that most individuals and many institutions,
especially the smaller ones with no resources will continue to follow the
model you describe.

My concern is that if the public looks for certified conservators that
those who work in our area will never be able to handle the work and
therefore the public will again turn to perhaps those less qualified or
certainly uncertified.  The public (in my area of the country), based on
my experience, is more interested in getting the conservation work done in
a timely, economical manner than wait on the best and pay more.

And this would be different from the current situation how? I've had to redo work done by others...

I guess, to some degree, this does not matter to the certified
conservators, except that they will find that they are asked to "redo" the
work of the poorer conservators at a later time.

I have recently been exposed to a "degree recipient" who has not found a
job (attended graduate school so that there would be a wider range of job
opportunities).  There may be multiple reasons for this, but, one of the
reasons is that now that training is complete, book restoration and
conservation are no longer the primary interest and the new interest is
book art. Nothing against book artists, just not necessarily who
institutions are hiring.

As well they should be. It's up to the rest to look out for their interests. If we organized (even informally), established guidelines of practice, and articulated a collective vision (even if imperfect) we would be better able to promote ourselves. It's ok to disagree and one would have to accept the imperfect, but it would be a start.

The short version of all this is that there are two or more sides to this
issue and, in my view, AIC is only looking at one.

Jane Brown brownjm@xxxxxxxx Charleston, SC
and
Exactly right.  They are looking at the AIC's view.  If you have a chance,
ask some AIC members their oppinions of conservators who work outside
their organization.  The majority will most likely give an answer that, if
viewed honestly, simply reinforces their apparent but false mystique and
elite view of their membership. It's like the Magician's Guild trying to
protect their trade from the non-literati.

Bruce

It does no good saying that those institutional / program people are no good and we're the best. Isn't it just as exclusionary (elitist is not the right expression for this)? If institutional/program people are so slow/bad/... why worry about them undercutting those in private practice... They'd be statistically insignificant. We've got to get the chip off the shoulder and move beyond sour grapes.

p.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>