Re: [BKARTS] AIC stuff

Date:    Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:42:33 -0500
From:    Bruce Levy <levybooks@xxxxxxxxx>
(snip)

>About conservators who think repairs should be obvious, as opposed to hidden:
>My experience and opinion is that a proper restoration would leave the
>book with a repair that IS NOT obvious, but the documentation that went
>with it would fully disclose exactly what was done.

(snip)

First, I've seen some of Bruce's work and it is very good.  However....

I've 'restored' a number of 15th - 18th c. volumes which retained upwards
of 30-40% of the original covering leather.

I did not attempt to reproduce the tooling or try to match the color of
the surviving leather.

In some instances I've replaced missing alum-tawed pigskin with Tim Barrett's
paper-case paper.

I make no apologies for this.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.