Re: [BKARTS] AIC Stuff

A sad codicil to Jane's observation is that we are not omnipotent; try
as we may, we are only working with the best currently available information
and materials, and sometimes we are wrong, however good we may be.

Some years ago I was able to re-restore a book which had been
restored by a well known English book restorer.

The calfskin which he had used to reback the volume had deteriorated
and I replaced it with newer, but not necessarily better, calfskin.

Sometime in the next 20 - 50 years someone else will likely have to
re-restore my work.

Ah, well,

Jack

(snip)

>I guess, to some degree, this does not matter to the certified
>conservators, except that they will find that they are asked to "redo"
>the work of the poorer conservators at a later time.

(snip)

>Jane Brown
>brownjm@xxxxxxxx
>Charleston, SC