Re: [BKARTS] GBW

Hello:

I am a librarian/archivist. I was first taught basic library materials
repair by a gentlemen who did book conservation
at NEDCC in Andover, Mass.  I was bitten by the bookbinding bug and have
never looked back.

GBW has been a blessing to me offering workshops, conferences and
programs in various areas of
paper and book preservation, repair and conservation.

I take classes at the Garage Annex School whenever I can. I take book
conservation and repair work very
seriously and I appreciate what GBW does.

I am the type of person that will always strive to learn as much as I
can, do as much as I can and no the
difference between what I can do well and what I can not do well.

That's my take on GBW.

Thanks.
Anastasia S. Weigle
"In A Bind" Studio
Old Orchard Beach, ME

Peter D. Verheyen wrote:

Well let's see,
they could help guide people interested in the binding profession, help
define skill sets needed, continue to provide continuing education
opportunities, ... All things they are in many ways doing right now. They
don't have to "certify" anything to provide an important resource. Are they
perfect? Of course not, but I don't see anyone else doing anything for
binders and book artists on a national level. Remember, one needs to
understand the structure of the book and binding to conserve a book.

By the way, speaking of training, the Guild of Book Workers Standards of
Excellence conference is coming up next month in Denver. Good presentations
by noted experts in the field, a great vendors area for buying tools,
papers, leathers, and other supplies, a chance for those attending to
demonstrate a skill or technique via the Friday Forum, and networking
opportunities. There are still spaces and more information can be found at
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/standards.shtml>. They also have
a good Study Opportunities List. The Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists
Guild <http://www.cbbag.ca> are equally active and worth checking out.

What are you doing to help people entering the craft? Teaching? Taking on
apprentices? Contributing to the body of knowledge? Remember we all need to
develop our bench skills somewhere if we want to be better than those
program trained "conservators."

It's very easy to condemn and complain. Harder to do something productive.

BTW, what ever happened to the Renaissance School for Bookbinding which was
announced about 2 years ago? Sounded like another good opportunity to help
keep needed traditional skills alive and pass them on to the next generation.

p.