Re: [BKARTS] AIC Stuff

I pretty much agree with everything Jane has said.  I think that most
conservators and restorators practicing today are apprentice-trained.
And as for bench experience, I believe that nothing substitutes for
bench experience.  Nevertheless, bench skills don't answer all
questions.

AIC is indeed pretty myopic about the number of people operating "out
there", who are not members.  This isn't unexpected, after all,
reflecting pretty normal organizational behavior.

Like Jane's, my area is under-blessed, but we do have some fine
practitioners, however, so the isolation is not total.  I really don't
see certification changing the balance of work very much, or even
affecting the quality of work done, except that re-certification will
require continuing education (not a bad idea).  There will still be bad
work that someone will have to re-do.

Carol P
Eugene, OR
====