Re: [BKARTS] AIC Stuff

I think you are right. But I am also thinking that most conservators are in private practice in one form or another. There is now (I think, but I have no numbers) a majority of the AIC membership, who are self-employed or in the private sphere. There has been an erosion (slow, but steady) in the number of publicly supported jobs, as the tendency to outsource has gained ground, or as positions are eliminated. However, again I have no numbers—this is only my sense of the issue, gained from comments heard at AIC meetings and read on the DistList.

Right now, institutional (read, public or nonprofit here) conservators are IMHO a mixed bag of program- and apprentice-trained, as are those in private practice. The number of available jobs (mostly public and nonprofit institutional) has not supported the rate of new graduates in some time. How the private rate of hire is doing, I do not know. Perhaps no one is really watching this very closely. New hires are probably mostly program people, because job listings are written to draw them, but I've seen little statistical info. I always feel that the balance is weighted against the apprentice-trained person, although if I were hiring, I'd be looking at other things than degrees.

Carol
Eugene, OR
===