Re: [BKARTS] evident repairs

Dorothy:

Isn't this the heart of the conserve-preserve considerations?

Shouldn't determination of the likely future use of the book
guide the treatment?

If availability for reading on a library shelf, would knowledge
of subtle repairs be a concern? Couldn't a repair record be
laid in be sufficient if useful?

If study as an artifact is a concern, should repairs be done at all?

If preservation were required to stabilize against further
deterioration, wouldn't a repair note suffice?

If appearance were considered important for improved for
display purposes, should treatment be decided on post-display
principles?

If made available for sale/resale mustn't alterations be made
explicit? {Expert dustjacket repairs give me concern
in this regard.)

[Don't know what to say about fragile/deteriorated items
in special collections.]

Alan Shalette