[BKARTS] Books With Pretty Covers

PRETTY COVERS
We go to libraries and bookstores and see shelves upon shelves of books.
Many have such pretty covers. But what is inside. Books are really pretty
little soapboxes for someone's ideas and ways of thinking. On this Book Arts
List we talk excitedly about books, how wonderful they are, how to make
wonderful covers, and bindings that stay together for many readings. But
when Gutenberg first started printing books, did he realize what a can of
worms he was to open. People could now freely print their dogmas, and get
some unsuspecting people to buy and read them. Of course now we have TV,
movies, videos, radio, video games and a whole lot of other dogmas and ideas
that are penetrating our society.

WHEN I READ A BOOK
Often when I read even credible textbooks in my field of expertise, I note
that many of the facts are not entirely true or presented fairly. For
example it is often said that fuel cells are 3-4 times as efficient as heat
engines. Pardon me but let's get the facts straight. Large gas turbine
powerplants are nearly 60% fuel to electricity efficient, and the best fuel
cell powerplants are also 60% efficient. True, if we compare smaller and
especially older powerplants it's different. A poorly designed automobile of
1980 with 3 speed automatic has very roughly 15% engine-drive train
efficiency in combined driving. The very latest hydrogen fuel cell
automobile prototypes have a 45% fuel cell-drive train efficiency in
combined driving. But a whole new crop of super efficient internal
combustion engines plus 5 speed automatics are poised to reach almost 45%
efficiency in the future also. I agree that fuel cells would be nice as cars
would be quieter. However fuel cell vehicles are pretty expensive to build
and where do we get the hydrogen? So I feel like screaming when I read some
of the books.

PUBLIC BOOKS
Perhaps books that are to be read by a wide cross section of the public
should contain several viewpoints if the facts are not absolute. Take the
case of Albert Einstein. In 1905 he renounce the ether as a medium that
energy such as photons travel in relation to and proclaimed that space
without matter or energy particles such as photons was totally empty. In
1916 he came to realize that light had to travel in relation to some entity.
He started using words such as space continuum, physical space, and total
field. His new ether was somewhat different in concept, but the fact is he
changed his mind. I don't like to use the word "ether" either, but the fact
is there is some structural entity for energy to travel in relation to. Many
scientists even today think that space without matter or energy particles is
totally empty because they were influenced by Einstein's earlier thinking.
Perhaps Einstein should have not been so dogmatic in his writing. Perhaps
books on his first theory should be labeled clearing on the front cover as
"Superceded Theory".

SHOULD BOOKS HAVE WARNING LABELS
I found the discussion on "Altering Books" to be extremely fruitful and
enlightening in my thinking of books and their contents.  The religious
aspect of this thread was just a small part of the whole topic of whether we
agree with what is said in books. Should books perhaps have big warning
labels stamped on the front? Not a censoring label, but just a label of
which slant the information is coming from.

BOOKS WITH PLASTIC POUCH
How about book covers with a little plastic pouch to slide in a label? Could
form a whole new style of book covers. Every person or institution could
slide in their own label depending on their viewpoints. Here is one generic
type of label. "This book has a left wing political viewpoint: Not everyone
from different political backgrounds will agree with this book." Or a
permanent video label, "This fiction story contains fantasy sexual content
that is not appropriate for real humans". These types of labels would be
especially useful when video's are sold in the Middle East. We have warning
labels on many other types of packages already.

PAGE FOR COMMENTS
Perhaps books should come with a full page pouch at the back of the book for
inserting readers or institutional comments about the book. Different people
could insert comments as to what they do or don't agree with. Handy way of
keeping notes for books. May not work for public libraries.

MY OWN PLASTIC POUCH
I've included a plastic pouch at the end of this message. Please insert
comments.

Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
E-mail: see website
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
Read my popular web-booklet "Urban Travel Issues"