Re: [BKARTS] AIC Stuff

I once hired a young Reed College graduate and began teaching her to
restore books.

Her degree was in chemistry and her B.S. thesis was an historical and
chemical analysis of the pigment, Naples Yellow.  Part of her work included
using the nuc-yu-ler reactor at Reed College (life-long Democrat, but
couldn't resist.)

She planned to apply to a graduate conservation program and become a
conservation scientist.  For that reason I made it one of the conditions
of her employment that she spend 4 hrs/wk (on my dime) doing research.

I didn't care what she researched.  My reference exceeded 3,000 volumes
in 14 subject areas at the time (it's over 4,000 volumes now) and I
subscribed to 27 journals/newsletters. She could research ANYTHING!

Well, it was like pulling teeth getting her to do any research.

She did go to NYU to begin a graduate program in conservation, but after
dealing with those folks for a semester or two, she converted to a straight
chemistry graduate program and when last heard from was working on a Ph.D.
dissertaion in paint chemistry.  For the commercial paint industry.

That is the long way round about saying what I've said before.  Read what
I've already said.  I've got more interesting things to do than sit
here typing the same rant 'n rave for people who are too lazy to do
abit of research.

Jack

(Vintage: Sept. 2003; Cab-Merlot; somewhat oakey; should mellow in a
couple of years.)

>No took notice?  I don't think so.  For anyone who knows Jack, this is
>vintage stuff!
>
>Carol
>---
>
>On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 12:00 PM, SN Taffe wrote:
>
>> Nice shot!  So well placed, no one took notice.  Care to clarify this
>> statement?  I'm curious... & a woman!
>>
>> At 03:05 AM 9/16/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>>> Too many women; not enough wisdom.
>>>
>>> Jack