Re: [BKARTS] Altering books

> We are a small elementary church school library.  We received
> a donation of 19 hard cover books about different types of
> dinosaurs.  Unfortunately, the last 2 pages of the books
> contain information pertaining to when (read millions of
> years) these dinosaurs lived.  We believe and teach the
> Biblical view of creation.  The books are colorful and would
> be very useful, except for the last 2 pages of statistics.  I
> can't cut them out because the last of the story is on one
> side of the statistics page.  After reading the paragraph on
> the title page regarding reproducing, photocopying, utilizing
> etc. and that one shouldn't do this, I hesitate to solve the
> problem by simply gluing the last 2 pages together and
> pasting a page of statistics on the blank back page.  Is this
> legal?  I love working here and don't want to create problems.

Rosemary,

Don't you feel in your heart as a teacher that it is your responsibility
to your pupils to present different ideas and theories about the world
around us, rather than suppressing and censoring them? Ideas and
theories that do not stand the test of other ideas and theories are not
worth defending - even the infamous "Index Librorum Prohibitorum" of the
Catholic Church was eventually ended, in 1966, after a bit more than 400
years of banning ideas, theories, thoughts and opinions.

Although I may not share your view on how the earth and universe was
created, I respect it - but I will never be able to fathom that
Christians feel that a scientific & evolutionary approach to creation
diminishes or miniaturizes the grandeur of creation - when it so very
clearly is the other way around.

I'll end this with a few lines from Alfred Whitney's "Essays on
Education":

"Books won't stay banned. They won't burn. Ideas won't go to jail. In
the long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost.
The only sure weapon against bad ideas is better ideas. The source of
better ideas is wisdom. The surest path to wisdom is a liberal
education."

Best regards,
Mats Broberg

Stockholm - Sweden