Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 17 Sep 2003 to 18 Sep 2003 (#2003-258)

In a message dated 9/19/03 12:14:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> no Mark you were not wrong, I agree with what you said, but if these people
> >want to cripple their children's ability to live in the real world, that is
> >up to them. There is some very good evidence to support evolution, and
> >there is much evidence to refute creationism. Let them destroy their
> >children's future, like the American state which once declared PI to equal

I haven't been here for this thread so I've missed most of it.  But is
someone suggesting that a state financed public education should sanction teaching
creationism in the classroom?  That's unconstitutional and should be fought
vigorously.  Separation of church and state.. we are not a judeochristian
country... the right not to have someone else's religious beliefs taught in OUR
public schools is guaranteed by the constitution.  No state has the right to
abridge the constitution.  Secondarily, you dont' destroy a child's future when you
teach creationism... you erode a culture's ability to support science that
flies in the face of fundamentalist belief systems.  Let people send their
children to non voucher supported parochial schools if they want them to be unaware
of evolution and be done with it.   But, no state funding for it.

sorry if this is a redundant or off point post... I just tuned in.

Audrey