Re: [BKARTS] Paring Knife

Julia,

Among Peter's recommendations:

>Your skill and practice
>The sharpness of the blade and your ability to hone it
>The kind of leather you work with.

The most important one is Number 2; "The sharpness of the blade...."

Once you have that down, all the rest is time-in-grade.

To make this clear to one student, some years ago, I sharpened
a wood chisel and pared leather with that.  With no tear-outs.

I am (slowly) producing a short videotape about sharpening paring
knives.  When it is done I'll post an announcement to the List.

Jack

>I'm about to invest in a leather paring knife.(snip)

>Many thanks,
>Julia Bradshaw

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick