[BKARTS] Cutting pages

Hi,

Just returned from my library used book sale with a book without covers
which I want to use to practise deconstructing and rebinding.  Don't worry,
this book has no real value.

My question is, the edges of the book block are uneven and worn.  To make
this a better reading copy, it would make sense to trim the pages.  I am
curious as to the etiquette of trimming pages when restoring books.
Obviously, my book does not fall into the category of a valuable book, but I
am interested in best practise all the same.

Many thanks,
Julia