Re: [BKARTS] Art v Craft

From Richard Minsky. Doesn't seem to have gone out.

p.

   Subject:      Re: [BKARTS] Art v Craft
   Date:         Mon, 22 Sep 2003 04:40:45 -0400
   From:         Richard Minsky <minsky@xxxxxxxxxx>

Before we get too redundant again (hommage to Yogi Berra):

There have been many threads on this topic on this list, such as the 1997
"crafting art, arting craft." Laurie Whitehill (librarian at RISD) did some

research during that thread and came up with some bibliographic references.

Her post is at
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/bookarts/1997/03/msg00187.html

You can follow that thread backward or forward from there, or do an archive

search on the thread title.

In addition to the citations you will find in Laurie's post, you may want
to read:

The June 1976 issue of CRAFT HORIZONS.
Polly Lada-Mocarski. "The Book of The Century." CRAFT HORIZONS, October,
1977
Slivka, Rose.  "The Artcraft Connection"  CRAFT INTERNATIONAL, volume 6
number 4, 1988, page 4
The Book Arts issue of CRAFT INTERNATIONAL, Oct/Nov 1993

In 1998 Peter Verheyen put together a summary of several discussions on
"Definition of the Artist's Book; What is a Book; BSO's (Book Shaped
Objects); Art vs. Craft" that is on his site at
http://philobiblon.com/whatisabook.htm

In 2000 we discussed it in a thread "What is art - judging work" . In 2001
we had a thread titled "Book Art vs. Book Arts" . You may want to reread
these in the archive. There have been other variations on this discussion
over the years.  By searching the archive using different keywords or
concept words you will find many specific references.

Don't miss all the other stuff at Peter Verheyen's, site, such as
Emily-Jane Dawson, Karen Drayne (a.k.a. Powell), and Barbara Davison's "is
it a book?" at
http://philobiblon.com/isitabook/

--
 Richard