Re: [BKARTS] Romanesque binding?

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 03:59:19PM -0500, Teresa Stroud wrote:
>Someone mentioned this type of binding. . .is there such a thing? what is it
>and how would I do it?

Rather than make a fool out of myself trying to generalize about a subject
about which I know very little, I would refer you to J. Szirmai's "The
Archaeology of Medieval Bookbinding".
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0859679047/qid=1064250338/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-0219568-6374518?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
or http://redirx.com/?euc
Note the price. Hopefully you have access to a good public or institutional
library that has a copy if you are unfortunate as I am in not being able
to justify the outlay for this oustanding book.

This is not a how-to book, but a historical research book. You would have to
research the structure and figure out a method based on your previous
experience. Bear in mind also that the materials used at the time were
different than what is available now.

I have not done any Romanesque bindings, but I have done a Gothic wooden
boards binding, which is a close descendant of the Romanesque binding. I
think I can safely say that this is an extremely labor-intensive method of
binding, especially in the woodworking aspects, that could look really
amazing after you are finished.

Ben