[BKARTS] craft vs art

At a handmade paper conference in Japan in 1980 Rauchenburg and Hockney had a go-around on the subject...in fact the whole conferece was examining the challenge of craft to become art. Rauchenburg said it was o.k. to make anything, and call it Art. It is then Art. Hockney said, "No, the artist has to mess it up somehow!"
We have gone through a period in contemporary art where quality of craft meant very little.
Two questions: Does the excellence of book art craft disallow "messing it up somehow?"
Do we as book artists sacrifice content for clever form and excellent construction?

Jean Marvell
ART on and of PAPER