Re: [BKARTS] art vs. craft

 I studied art at a university in the early 60s; no one taught anything about craft except
the
printmaking professors. All the rest was a free-for-all, an "express yourself at all costs"
and "damn technique" motif. In the early 80s I had the good fortune to study scenic
design and painting with Lester Polokoff at his Studio and Forum of Scenic Design in
NYC. Lester taught, first of all, the craft of art -- how shadows work, the principles of
perspective, the qualities of paints, the respect for materials, etc. I learned more, in one
semester with Polokoff, than I had learned in college. To me, the process of making art
is what makes it so valuable to artists - most of us will never get rich from our work, but
we are so lucky to make things that give pleasure in the making.  Art without technique
circumvents that pleasure, and frankly, it's what can truly be taught -- imagination
comes from somewhere else, and it waits to be incorporated with craft. The old idea of
apprenticeship in one's field was not a bad thing.
Bertha Rogers