Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 21 Sep 2003 to 22 Sep 2003 (#2003-262)

WELL,  I read some of the book arts digests and need to respond and BEG
FOR INFO!

1.  on the subject of craft versus art...who cares? If I make a
one-of-a-kind artist book is it art?  If I make a limited edition book
is it craft? I make what I make...hope it is crafted well and useful in
some sense...I consider my work as art...my soul is in it.

2.  I am a book artist and printmaker who also teaches art to fifth and
sixth grade students.  We make an amazing book of 'pop-ups', but really
they are books within books.  I want my students to incorporate light
and sound (cross curricular integration with science and music).  I have
the light part (LED, micro-switches  and button batteries) down, but am
striking out with the sound.  I need a source for a wafer thin digital
recording device with a speaker that can record a sound/message/etc for
up to 10 seconds and be thin enough to incorporate in a thick back cover
for the book.  They also need to be triggered by a switch, rather than
an electrical surge (unlike the Radio Shack sound recording picture
frames).  Any suggestions/sources/etc?  I don't want to build them
myself from chips, etc unless someone has an easy-to-make recorder
device and instructions.

Thanks in advance...
MJ Linford
always watching out for UFO's...