Re: [BKARTS] University of Iowa Center for the Book Campaign

We're pleased of course that Terry asks.

The most convenient process for us -- and we think for donors -- is to
follow the path suggested in the final sentence of my initial posting:

Click the link to http://www.uiowa.edu/~ctrbook, look for the phrase "A
giving opportunity," click again, and make a gift today.........

The link takes you to the Center for the Book home page. (You might want to linger a moment on the "Book & Paper Store" or other pages). The phase in which "A giving opportunity" occurs is an active link to a page on the University of Iowa Foundation web site. At the end of a short text, there is an opportunity to request a gift page. This in turn gives you fields in which to place name, address, amount of gift, etc. If you charge your gift to a credit card, you can complete the entire transaction online in a couple of minutes. If you'd prefer to send a check, there is an option for that as well: the Foundation will mail you a pledge sheet that assures your gift is correctly credited to the Center. Either of these processes sets up an error-free gift record, correctly spits out instructions for acknowledgements, etc., etc.

If you'd really rather mail a check to an apparent human, you're welcome to
make them payable to "UI Foundation," indicate they are intended to support
the Center, and mail them to me.  My address line below is adequate.

It goes beyond Terry's question, but his question invites a brief comment
on institutional fundraising these days. The cost, at least to a larger
institutions, of handling a gift in the form of a $25 check is now, I'm
told, creeping up on $25, since the giving record must be created by staff
and the check itself handled by a number of people, each of whom add a mite
to overhead.  Using a semi-automated online process assures that more of
your gift goes to the purposes you intend to support, less to
record-keeping.