[BKARTS] Too thick or not too thick..............

Dear Peter,

Now this is an interesting thread you may have started!

In the main we endeavour to produce our leather to the requirements of the masses.  So for example:

**Chieftain Goat - 1.0mm (2.5oz) - for craft binding
Bookcalf - 0.6mm (1.5oz) - for craft binding
Pentland Goat 0.8mm (2oz) - for craft binding and 0.6mm (1.5oz) for commercial binding
Embossed Goat 0.8mm (2oz) - for craft binding and 0.6mm (1.5oz) for commercial binding

(**N.B. In a simulation of wear-and-tear on the joints of a book, our Chieftain Goat which has the new archival tannage, withstands between 150000-300000 flexes on a 'Resistance to Flexing whilst under Strain' test.   This Flexural Endurance Test which follows British Standard BS5131:4.2 demands that the leather being tested will withstand a minimum of 2500 flexes!  Do you really want this leather supplied heavier than 1.0mm?)

We also believe that these substances in most instances are the correct ones for most binding projects.  We are occasionally asked to supply calf at a substance of 0.9mm - 1.0mm (2.25 - 2.5oz) and where the raw material allows we are delighted to oblige.  However, more often than not, we are asked to supply our leather even thinner than standard measurements quoted above!!   Past messages posted on this and other bookbinding lists asking for advice on leather skiving services supports the assumption that there are many binders who do not want to spend too much time paring leather.

One binder's thin skin is another's thick one (and vice versa) and I guess that we'll never get it right - but we do try.

If you would like to discuss obtaining heavier skins , just let us know

best wishes,

David

David Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.