Re: [BKARTS] Changing to preservation

At 08:38 AM 10/21/2003 -0400, Dorothy Africa wrote:
I am sure neither of the posters to the list on this topic intended to be
insulting, but those of us who have spent a challenging and deeply
rewarding sojourn at the bench need not be dismissed as 'techs' who can be
lightly passed over by those intent on vaulting into a career in
preservation on the basis of having an MLS.   Learn the work, damn it.

Dorothy, et al.

A thousand pardons, I meant absolutely no disrespect to the people
who do the hands-on work. On the contrary, I have the greatest
respect (and more than a smidge of envy!) for the people who do
this delicate and often difficult work. (That's why I'm on this list,
even tho' it's only tangentially work-related!)

I was writing for someone not unlike myself, a librarian with limited
training/background in conservation. There is a legitimate need for
librarians with some background in conservation. (I think it should
be a required course in library school, personally)
But libraries also need people who can do the kind of evaluations
I mentioned. First of all deciding, for example, whether a library item
is even worth using precious conservation resources on, or whether
they should just try to get a new copy.

I was just trying to suggest a way, from my own limited experience,
in which she could legitimately combine her current profession with
her interest in preservation.

respectfully,

Susan Fatemi
Earthquake Engineering Library
National Information Service for Earthquake Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
1301 South 46th Street, RFS #453
Richmond, CA 94804-4698

Ph: (510) 231-9552