Re: [BKARTS] Book titles on spines

All of my French imprints are titled "bottom-top", opposite to the
pattern used in the US.  It truly does make reading a shelf of titles
less than comfortable, so these may be shelved upside down.

When working on a book printed in another country, I make a point of
noticing the orientation of the spine lettering, and I will ask the
owner how they will want it put back.  Depending on the book and what I
am doing with it, the answer may vary.  If I am making a new cover,
usually the lettering is done "top-bottom" to blend more smoothly with
other books on the shelf.  If it's a restoration, I replace the spine
in the original orientation.

Carol
-------