From: april henry <melange@xxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: core skills
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:07:13 -0700

To follow on what Julie and Audrey have said...

I believe that the lack of fine bindings may be in part because artist
books are much more approachable to those outside the field.  I think
that the prevalence of artist books is a direct reflection of training
options.  Traditional methods of binding are falling to the wayside as
are traditional methods of training.  I really see the two issues being
intertwined.

In my experience there is a distinct lack of alternatives for those new
to the craft who want to learn.  Apprenticeships would make so much more
sense.

~April