Re: [BKARTS] Education?

I agree with much of what you said.

I recently noticed a posting announcing someone's completion of a
five year course of study in bookbinding, where it noted that twenty
bindings were finished by the student. 20 bindings- five years.  I
think the student should be given an additional award for keeping
the school alive.  If my shop didn't turn out at least 20 treatments
in two months I'd be out of business.  This may be an unfair
comparison, but do the math yourself.

I remember during my first months of exposure to bookbinding at a
local reputable bookbinding school- there were about twenty people
in the class.  While most were working on one or two books at a
time- or three or four over 6 months or so (and very basic they
were) I was producing three or four times the amount- because I
discovered I loved it.  What I remember most was one of the teachers
stating, in front of all the other students, that of all the people
there I was the least likely to ever become a bookbinder.  I'll
never forget that, nor can I ignore the implications.

When I was in the institutional venue, and worked with interns from
the Columbia program, I was also astounded by how unprepared they
were after three years.  However, there were a couple students who
quickly brought themselves up to speed because of their desire and
drive.  It's interesting that the longer a program is stretched out,
the more credibility is apparently bestowed on the program- yet many
of the people still enter the field with few practical skills, and
even less power of descrimination as to what represents a high level
of skill and finesse.

I think that for the most part, where a person arrives depends on
their own inner compass and aspirations more than ANYTHING ELSE.
Make all the excuses you want.

Bruce