[BKARTS] Restoring Second-hand Board Shears

I bought some years ago a second-hand set of 36" board shears from
amongst the items available at Falkiner's Fine Papers in London.    They had
been well used as far as I could determine and were covered in patches of
glue, varnish and rust.   I suppose they must be, perhaps, 50 years
old.   They need remounting on a bench.

I have rubbed them down with garnet & emery paper and protected the surface
with phosphoric acid coat ( available as anti-rust compounds or gels in
any car spares shop with paint and tools, for example).   I have also
spent a couple of hours "grinding" the cutting bevel on both blades with
an 8" oilstone to restore the surface and edge.  Both halves are made from
steel 10mm thick.

I have looked in the archives, but answers to my queries are not shown,
nor on the Web using Google.  Paraffin wax was suggested as an edge
lubricant, though I suspect beeswax would be just as effective?

The opposing faces of the blades appear to have been coated with a
fine lacquer (now removed!) - the only part that showed as touching
was the area immediately adjacent to the cutting edge.   The angle of
the bevel on the bench blade was about 6 deg and on the curved,
hand-operated blade 15 deg.   If the faces were lacquered was this just
for surface protection I wonder?    Why were the bevels at two different
angles?    I can see no specific reason for these angles, probably they
have just arisen from the maker's experience.   Also the curved blade
has a very slight bow outwards so that the cutting edges
are crossing as the blade decends.  What do modern blades show?

Rodney Fry
England

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Message sent with PegasusMail 4.12a
System W98 4.10.2222A 2nd Edn on ABIT KR7A-RAID,
AMD XP 1800+ CPU, 256 MB RAM, Pace 56 Solo modem
McAfee VirusScan v5.21, Mozilla v1.4 browser
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx