Re: [BKARTS] cotton paper for a laser printer

Hi
A few years ago I did some research into archival papers for laser
printers and found, to my surprise, that most contemporary papers were
actually quite good. I believe that there has been a change in the paper
making technology that has gotten rid of the acidic bleach that ruined
commercial paper from even the recent past.

The thing that seemed most vulnerable in laser printing was that the
toner could flake off the paper - that is, some kinds of toner don't
bond so well, and some kinds of paper don't take toner very well. Also,
some papers have a coating that receives the toner, and sometimes the
coating will fail. I don't have any information about which kinds of
toner and paper work best together. My experience is that toner prints
are very durable though.

The Wilhelm Research Institute tests the archivalness of art materials.
Their url is:
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
Maybe you can find more information there.

When I worked in the printing industry 10 years ago acid free cotton
stock was readily available for fancy letterheads. I'm sure such stock
has been upgraded to make good laser prints. So your local commercial
printer might be able to supply you with the stock you need cut with the
grain running in the right direction.

Bye
Martin