[BKARTS] Unikat

[Also posted to exlibris]

I am faced with a large artist's book "Father of day, father of night",
with text by Bob Dylan, issued by Galerie auf Zeit, described as "II.
unikat [Unikat?] Buch v. Michael Wuerzberger". From various Google and
online dictionary efforts I can't tell what the term "unikat" or "Unikat"
really means, or whether its meaning is rather fluid. The word turns up in
both German and Polish.

Does it denote it a unique item? A singular sort of item? A "curiosity" (as
one online Polish dictionary has it)? An object handmade by a single
person, perhaps including objects of identical design but unique execution?
There are signs that may be a term subject to some commercial abuse. At any
rate, as far as I can tell, ours is a handwritten, hand-decorated book, and
nobody else seems to have it.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 : RICHARD_NOBLE@xxxxxxxxx