From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Maureen Eppstein
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 11:07 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 14 Nov 2003 to 15 Nov 2003 (#2003-314)

At 12:01 AM 11/16/2003 -0500, Roberta wrote:
>In my version of a perfect world, books would be exhibited in a large room
>full of comfortable sitting areas and visitors with clean hands and basic
>knowledge about how to handle the materials. A place where a market for
book
>arts could be expanded by socializing people into the richly satisfying
>elements of time and touch that separate books from paintings, prints and
>sculpture - a place of active participation.

Last spring my husband and I curated the show "Betty Storz and Friends: The
Art of the Book" at Mendocino Art Center, Mendocino CA. We gave exhibitors
the option of having their work under glass or available to be handled.
Nearly all were happy to have visitors pick up their books. We bought a big
bundle of cheap white cotton gloves from Light Impressions
(www.lightimpressionsdirect.com) and arranged them in baskets throughout
the gallery. We also had a few comfortable chairs where people could sit to
browse.

The show was a great success. Visitors commented that they loved putting on
the gloves and they appreciated the chance to spend time quietly looking
through the books.

Maureen Eppstein