Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 14 Nov 2003 to 15 Nov 2003 (#2003-314)

In 30 years of exhibiting bookworks, I have found that the respect viewers
approach the exhibition is manifest only through the gloves situation--I
have always provided gloves with everyone of my shows and it has worked.  In
30 years, I have lost one book in the United STates and two books in
Australia and New Zealand--not a bad record.  There is that affinity to
touch with and without gloves, and with gloves, you protect the works.  Of
course, I have always had a table with those multiples which can be
replaced, yet can be perused at length with a gloved hand or two. Of course,
there are those bookworks which should never be touched--and as such I have
used a system of color codings or a way of having the gallery assistant be
asked to turn the pages for the viewer.  I also am present a great deal the
first week of any traveling show and teach the docents (students or those
volunteers who want to sit the show) the stories of each of my bookworks and
how to deal with each for the public.  AS such, it has made it much more
secure for me to leave and know that the show is in "good  hands" to turn a
phrase.  I have been successful in traveling shows because I usually go with
the show, install it, and then interpret it and then teach those who are
securing the gallery how to interpret the show in their own way as well.
Respect is built in in that way.

Barbara Metz has also perfect the way of installing the show by doing a
CD-Rom to show those who will install the show without her to do so the
correct way.  CDs are wonderful for a great many reasons.  I do recall the
Vollard show at MOMA in 1977 when they used videos to turn the pages of
those precious books which could not be touched by anyone, but where each
and every page of those magnificent books were turned on monitors for people
to appreciate.  Then too, those huge bookworks of Ansel  Kiefer were turned
by gorgeous turners in every show they appeared--from MOCA in Los Angeles to
everywhere else.  Respect is instilled by such motives.  Not bad for a day's
work, but it works.

Judith A. Hoffberg
Judith A. Hoffberg
Umbrella