Re: [BKARTS] Handling books

Hear hear! I agree completely that the point of books (and textiles) is
the interaction, the full sensual experience. I also don't think that
anything--not even art!--is meant to last "forever", and again, that's
the point. I love an antique book that is obviously old: worn, pages
torn, cover falling off, etc. It displays a sense of history, as well
as fleetingness, and reminds me of all the other people who have
handled the book and the lives that have been touched by it. As far as
exhibitions are concerned, a sense of respect and mindful handling
should of course be encouraged (as with anything else in life!), but I
wonder if the white gloves might not give the viewer a sense that the
artist does not trust the viewer to handle with care, and perhaps even
that the viewer is somehow beneath the work, not worthy of touching &
interacting with it? I think that exhibitions and gallery spaces by
their very nature put people in a reverent frame of mind, unconsciously
encouraging respect & mindfulness. People are usually hesitant to touch
anything in a gallery unless expressly invited to do so.

 (Personally, I think that art in general needs & deserves to be
experienced on as many levels and with as many of the senses as
possible, but that's another story...)

Sarah Lawless (Canada)