[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] Chinese tea paper

Funeral paper and tea chest paper are two different things.  Funeral
paper is burned and symbolic of money.  It generally comes in smallish
squares, with a smaller square within it, covered in leaf of some sort
and stained orange to look gold, etc.  Sometimes there is additional
relief printing on the surface. You can find this sort of thing in
Chinese grocers.  Tea Chest paper comes in larger sheets, and is more
robust- it is difficult to wear away the leaf.  Pearl art supply also
used to carry it (haven't got their current catalog)

Doug Sanders

> Is this the same stuff that's also called joss (spelling?) papers?
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "James Tapley" <JTHANDBOOK@xxxxxxx>
> To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 4:48 PM
> Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Chinese tea paper
> > you might more easily find it referred to as tea chest paper. it is
> silver
> > colored foil attached to a paper backing; the gold version is made
> painting
> > the silver over with a yellow tinted varnish.
> > it is called tea chest paper because it was used to line tea
containers as
> a
> > form of environment control.
> > it also has a use as ritual paper money in traditional chinese
> > services.
> > you should find it stocked by all large suppliers of Japanese hand
> > papers. i've also found it in large Oriental food stores.

        See the Book_Arts-L FAQ at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

     *Postings may not be re-printed in any form without the express
     consent of the author - Please respect their contributions & ©*

        Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]