Re: [BKARTS] Bookish note

At 12:41 PM 11/25/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Though the comment might be historically/linguistically inaccurate,  I'm
not sure why the sub-title of the book "The History and Impact of Paper
in the Islamic World" is misleading.  Were Persian speaking peoples not
part of the unification of western Asia by Islam in the 8th century, the
period during which the book's author begins his focus?

Curiously,
Doug Sanders

Hi Doug -- Sorry, my bad. I meant the title of the *other* book, i.e. "The Arabic Book" by Pedersen.

You're quite right about the rest of it. I believe Iran had been
conquered by 720. The battle of Talas, in which the Arabs
defeated the T'ang army, was 751. The Arabs took many Chinese
prisoners and forced them to show them how to make paper.
(for more info, see http://www.geocities.com/somasushma/talas.html)

Now, I've just *got* to get that book!

Susan Fatemi
susanf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx