From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Susan Fatemi
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 9:09 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Bookish note

At 02:37 AM 11/25/2003 -0500, Matthew Garelick wrote:

>On a more bookish note, I just re-read, and HIGHLY recommend, Paper Before
>Print: The History and Impact of Paper in the Islamic World, by Jonathan
>Bloom. It is a *fantastic* read, both scholarly and readable, and
>beautifully illustrated. It nicely describes just how wildly transformative
>paper was, and is also very informative on the history of printing and
>literacy in the Arabic-speaking world. Good stuff.
>
>Matthew
>Still-Bitter Red Sox Fan

Matthew --
I just looked at this book on Amazon, it looks fabulous, if expensive.
"The Arabic Book" by Johannes Pedersen, 1984, an earlier work on
the same topic is O.P. now, but probably still findable, for anyone
interested.

My pedantry forces me to point out that the title of the book and
the comment on the "Arabic-speaking world" are misleading, as
most of the great MSS were created in Persia, Turkey, and Moghul
India.  The cover of the book (as shown on Amazon) is actually a
page in Persian -- it's very interesting that it seems to have been
created on paper that already had a "Chinese" scene on it.

It's definitely going on my Xmas list!

Susan

Susan Fatemi
susanf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx