Re: [BKARTS] pocket parts

Yes you have remember law books and pockets part exactly.
Unfortunately the pasted envelope wont work for my purposes but
another lister sent some photos of a "pocket" made in book cloth
that I am going to try -covered in paper any other suggestions would
still be appreciated

A Emel

I'm a little confused by discussion of flaps and seals here.  At
another period of my life, I used law books a lot.  I think of a
pocket part as a supplement that is usually printed on light weight
paper.  The pages are close to the size of the original book and the
back cover of the pocket part slides into a tight pocket in the back
cover of the original volume.  (The pocket is open on the side
toward the spine.) That way readers can read the pocket parts along
with the main volume.  If the pocket parts are likely to be thick,
the spine of the book is wider than the text block to accommodate
the pages of the pocket part.  A new pocket part is published
annually to update the volume until a new edition comes out, so
pocket parts get thicker over several years.  Early in the life of a
law book, the pocket part may be only a signature, but later it can
take the form of multiple signatures stapled together, with a card
stock back cover to slide into the pocket.  I recall that the
pockets were made of something more like a card stock, so they are
stiff and firm enough to anchor the pocket part.

Hope this helps.

Sally Canzoneri