[BKARTS] Furunori

>I toured the lab at the BM in 1996 and their aged paste is still there.
>Furunori, as it is known, is wheat starch paste stored in a pottery jar
>with a layer of water on top.
>Doug,

Sorry, but I'm not aware of Furunori.  Funori, however, is a substance
used in the conservation of Asian art.

It is a hydrocolloid made by cooking down seaweed.  A weak adhesive, but
just strong enough to bind such things as gold and silver leaf to paper.

A very good text for learning about these things is:

_Characteristics of Japanese Art that Condition its Care_
Japanese Association of Museums, Tokyo, 1987.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217