Re: [BKARTS] POSSIBLE LURKING VIRUS

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!! IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER!!!

This is a sort of virus that depends on a user voluntarily
damaginging their computer. Called a Amish Virus, it depends on
a user's lack of knowledge of his OS to deliberately do
something to disable his machine, thinking he is protecting it.

MayKitten
--- laneparks <madrona@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> I just received this from a close friend. who used to live on
> Guemes Island.
> I found the file in my computer. It has been there since
> 11/30/2002 and hasn't
> seemed to have done any damage, but it is a little scary.
>
> I would suggest doing the -----PLEASE DO THIS ASAP---- right
> away. Please
> don't panic and don't click on anything before you have
> followed the instructions.
> It was easy for me and I had a little panic going on. I fear
> we might have more
> of this happening. I have Norton, but it passed through.
> Sorry.
>
> Lane
> "This was passed on to me from a neighbor. I don't know
> whether it will come
> back again so you might want to recheck it every day or so.
>
> just found out I received a virus that automatically is
> passed through
> e-mail address books. I found it in my C: drive.
>
> Since you are in my address book, you will probably find it
> in your
> computer too.
>
> The virus called jdbe.exe is not detected by Norton or McAfee
> Anti-virus
> systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging
> the system.
> It is sent automatically by "messenger" and by address book
> whether or
> not you sent e-mail to your contacts. Here is how to check
> for the virus
> and how to get rid of it.
>
> PLEASE DO THIS ASAP.
>
> 1. Go to Start, then click your "find" or search "option."
> 2. In the folder option, type the name jdbgm
> 3. Be sure to search your C drive (this is where I found it)
> and all the
> sub folders and other drives you may have 4. Click "find now"
> 5. The
> virus has a teddy bear icon! with the name jdbgmgr.exe. DO
> NOT OPEN IT!
> 6. Go to Edit (on the menu bar) and choose "select all" to
> highlight the
> file without opening it. 7. Now go to the File (on the menu
> bar) and
> select delete. The virus will then go to the recycle bin.
>
> If you find the virus, you must contact all the people in
> your address
> book so that they may eradicate the virus from their own
> address books.
> To do this:
>
> 1. Open a new e-mail message.
> 2. Click the icon address book (contacts) next to "To"
> 3. Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
> 4. Copy this message and paste to e-mail."

>         See the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:
> <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>
>      *Postings may not be re-printed in any form without the
> express
>      consent of the author - Please respect their
> contributions & ©*
>
>         Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation

=====
Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

>From the book, Charge of the Goddess
BY: Doreen Valiente