Re: [BKARTS] tips to avoid getting glue on paper

Sue-

This method works well for me-

When you glue, work from the center and let your brush go all the way
past the edge of the paper (this prevents the paper from moving around
so much--picking up the brush midstroke will make the paper shimmy). As
the paper begins to curl, keep working the brush over the curl, until
the paper starts to relax and flatten out a little bit.   I'm not sure
if you are watering down your PVA or adding methylcellulose, but the
less you use, the less it will curl.  Also, I recommend using a small
foam roller brush, instead of a bristled brush, which will spread the
glue out thinly and evenly and allows you to work quickly.

Before you lay  down the paper to be glued, have  two pieces of scratch
paper laid out side by side, so once you've applied an adequate amount
of glue you can (very carefully) slide each piece of scratch paper away
and get them away from your work surface (I use the floor).  This may
solve half of your problem.

The other half of your problem may be caused by how you pick the paper
up.  When spreading the glue out, use your middle finger (this is the
dirty finger) planted in the center of the page to keep the paper
stable, being careful not to get any glue on your forefinger or thumb.
Once you've applied glue to the whole surface, move your planted middle
finger over slightly so that you can glue up the center. The next step
is going to be hard to explain without visuals, but when you pick up
the paper, put your two dirty fingers on opposing edges of the glued
side of the page, slowly slide your thumbs underneath (so that they are
touching the  clean side,) flip it over slowly and  you'll find that
your forefingers will naturally land on the clean side.    This finger
configuration makes it extremely easy to accurately place the paper
where it needs to go and will minimize your chances of having the gluey
side touch the clean side.

Lastly, gluing the stiffer surface may work in some instances, but not
in cases where the paper or cloth you are using are smaller than the
surface they are being applied to...  it is difficult to apply the glue
perfectly within the lines of your target area, and it increases the
chances of the glue escaping out along the edges of the paper being
applied.

You might want to practice this method a few times with a smaller piece
of paper.

I hope this explanation makes sense! I'd be happy to reiterate any
steps if they seem unclear.

Happy Gluing!

Brandon Mise
Blue Barnhouse