Re: [BKARTS] Book Repairs in Libraries

I job share with another person at a fairly large (1.8 million volumes) library. She does open stack material repair, I do special collections. For open stack materials we have a repair slip that indicates the general nature of the problem, such as torn pages at ----------, or reback, mend at.---------, etc. For the special collections materials, there is a problem's shelf in the closed stack area where items are left with a brief note such as box, rebind, reattach, etc. I evaluate the item and consult with the relevant curator if necessary. I don't know how often my coworker chooses a different repair than the one identified on the repair slip.

In my personal opinion, check lists for specific repairs are only useful when the people using them are knowledgeable. Most of the library staff here knows very little about book repair and people often use the wrong terms or mistake the kind of repair needed. It is much better to ask them to identify the problem than the solution. This is not to fault them, but just to point out that it is unfair to ask them to evaluate in ignorance. A torn spine does not always necessitate a reback, and sometimes just mending a hinge when the whole book is about to fall out of the binding is not sufficient.
Some librarians here are happy to talk about a specific repair, but most just want the problem to 'go away' and are not interested in how it is done, ditto for the rest of the staff. I certainly am the same. I care that the call number means I can find the book, and have no real interest on the way it is arrived at, though I have some general knowledge of the LC system.