From: Dorothy Africa <africa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mar 2, 2004 9:26 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Book Repairs in Libraries

I job share with another person at a fairly large (1.8 million volumes)
library.  She does open stack material repair, I do special
collections.  For open stack materials we have a repair slip that indicates
the general nature of the problem, such as torn pages at ----------, or
reback, mend at.---------, etc.   For the special collections materials,
there is a problem's shelf in the closed stack area where items are left
with a brief note such as box, rebind, reattach, etc.  I evaluate the item
and consult with the relevant curator if necessary.  I don't know how often
my coworker chooses a different repair than the one identified on the
repair slip.

  In my personal opinion, check lists for specific repairs are only useful
when the people using them are  knowledgeable.  Most of the library staff
here knows very little about book repair and people often use the wrong
terms or mistake the kind of repair needed. It is much better to ask them
to identify the problem than the solution.  This is not to fault them, but
just to point out that it is unfair to ask them to evaluate in
ignorance.  A torn spine does not always necessitate a reback, and
sometimes just mending a hinge when the whole book is about to fall out of
the binding is not sufficient.
    Some librarians here are happy to talk about a specific repair, but
most just want the problem to 'go away' and are not interested in how it is
done, ditto for the rest of the staff.  I certainly am the same.  I care
that the call number means I can find the book, and have no real interest
on the way it is arrived at, though I have some general knowledge of the LC
system.