[BKARTS] Query re tooling

Dear Listmembers,

I am a new member, with a query on tooling on linen and paper (not leather).
On 17th C embroidered boxes, it is common to find tooled linen or paper
lining. Sometimes this is blind tooled, sometimes gold. In one example,
there seems to have been some kind of printing process used, with a thick
resinous ink and fleuron-like stamps.
The tooling seems to have been put on after the box was assembled and lined.
The process of blind-embossing linen was also used for clothing - and I am
curious as to how this was done without scorching the linen.
Could anyone point me to a good book on the technique which covers the
techniques of doing this in detail?
All the books I have found refer to the process of tooling on leather or on
19th C and later techniques involving book cloth and heavy equipment which
they would not have had in 17th C.

Best wishes,

Leon Conrad
London, UK