Re: [BKARTS] Query re tooling

Is it possible that what you are describing is generally known as Dutch
Gilt or Brocade paper?  Rather than being tooled, they were created with
rollers/presses.  I think there are other techniques where an
adhesive/paste was printed first, then leaf applied on top.  Info can be
found at: http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt1131.html

The Koninklijke Bibliotheek (National Library of the Netherlands) has a
very large collection of such papers.  Perhaps they have a catalog
available for purchase.

Douglas Sanders
Conservator
Indiana Historical Society