Re: [BKARTS] Query re tooling

I have restored such items and basically you just roll a line of Gold in classic hand tooling style next to each other on a piece of leather.
On a recent Music box job, there I had to replace a side panel, it required 143 Lines of a 1.5 mm Roll with a gap of 3 mm.

You can also have a plate engraved and just stamp it, but close examination on my part seemed hand tooled to me, as a stamped line looks more mechanical, aside I've seen nicks in lines which repeated themselves in a regular pattern which gives you the diameter of the Roll used.
Only because it seems outlandish to us nowadays to do such a job by hand, we shall not forget that our forebearers in the Trade were accomplished craftsman and in their time found it a good days work just to roll Lines.

Brocade papers:

I've several in my collection, full sheets and partials.
The color is painted, the gold is leaf gold, and i think it is press into the size before the size is completely dry.
Any one who prints letterpress and has gilded type or ornaments on the press, knows immediately the difference between powered and leafed gold.
I've recreated Brocade papers in such manner.

charles
L.A Book Arts, Inc.
The Custom Bindery
Krause Intaglio