[BKARTS] process

Hi -

I'm de-lurking to ask for advice about a problem that has been bothering me for some time now: I am a papermaker and beginning bookbinder.  I haven't taken many classes but have taught myself through books and studying whatever examples I could find... my problem is that I have TONS of ideas for projects but am having a hard time following through with them.  I was hoping some of you could share your creative process with me - how do your books and other related projects go from idea to finished piece?

I keep a sketchbook in which I write down ideas and sometimes sketch them.  But I have so many half-baked ideas, they just sort of get lost among all the other ideas.  This sort of problem doesn't plague me when drawing or painting or even doing collage - usually I don't plan much and just let it evolve as I work on it.  This has not always been to my advantage, compositionally, but at least with those sorts of works you can get away with it sometimes.  But books require so much forethought!

I'm toying with the idea of keeping a binder with a section for each project, with notes, sketches, lists of materials, and steps I need to take.  That is so contrary to my fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants nature, though... So I'd like to know, how do you do it?  Do you make lots of models and prototypes?  Do you sketch it out?  Do you write it down?  Do projects just spring into being as you learn new techniques and experiment?  Do you have it all planned out in your head?

thanks for the insight -

Allison Bloom
www.wibookandpaper.org

Store more e-mails with MSN Hotmail Extra Storage ? 4 plans to choose from! *********************************************** See the Book_Arts-L FAQ at: *Postings may not be re-printed in any form without the express consent of the author - Please respect their contributions & ©* Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine ***********************************************