[BKARTS] Copyright info. for book artists

Is there some repository somewhere of US Copyright law as it pertains to
book artists?  For instance, I have the following two concerns:

1. If I purchase an existing book (currently in print) and rebind it --
leaving the text and pages unchanged -- can it be displayed publicly, and/or
sold?

2. In a similar vein, if I cut an article out of a magazine (post 1923 --
the magazine in question is from 1940) and use the actual article in an
artists book, is that a violation of copyright?

I know that US Copyright law is very involved, and yes, I should contact a
copyright attorney, but at this stage I'm just looking for basic information
and can't hire someone.  I've read the Code and judgments regarding
derivative works, etc., but I'm just not sure if these cases fall under that
definition...  Has anyone had experience in these matters?

Thanks,
Ann Kingman