[BKARTS] Uniontown Workshops with Timothy Ely--details

Greetings!
Here are the details for the workshops I'm offering this year at The
Churchyard Inn in Uniontown, Washington.

Drum Leaf Structure, 4-day intensive -- two options:
--June 7 - 10 (arrival June 6 afternoon, departure June 11 after breakfast)

--June 28 - July 1 (arrival June 27 afternoon, departure July 2 after
breakfast)

The Painted Book, 4-day intensive:
--June 21 - 24 (arrival June 20 afternoon, departure June 25 after breakfast)

DRUM LEAF STRUCTURE
This is a structure I have developed to accommodate my own work that neatly
solves many of the problems encountered when creating a codex book from a
single-sided, narrative series of prints, photographs, digital images or drawings.
If you've ever struggled with the challenges of creating an original bookwork
that requires folded sections and imagery on both sides of the sheet in a
predetermined order, you will appreciate this structure. Any book binder who has
been challenged with finding a way to bind loose materials into a book form
will also find this structure appealing.

Participants will go home with two finished models. The workshop will also
include a variety of paper decorating and imaging techniques, structure
variations and cloth mounting for spines.

All levels are welcome, though experience in any craft that requires
precision will be useful.
ADVANCED DRUM LEAF TECHNIQUES
For anyone who has taken the drum leaf workshop in the past and wants to
learn advanced techniques and recent developments, I invite you to join us for one
of the drum leaf workshops being offered and I will give you individual
instruction in these techniques and an opportunity to pursue some of your own ideas
with help in development and trouble-shooting.
THE PAINTED BOOK
The Painted Book is an investigation into structures and technologies that
begins where fine bookbinding left off in the early part of this century.

The Painted Book endeavors to move on, utilizing new spaces and images,
refined techniques and novel materials. This flux integrates the aesthetic
experience of the visionary bookbinder with that of artists from many other
disciplines.

In this intensive we will construct an embryonic book structure following
(and diverging from) more conventional bookbinding systems than the drum leaf,
exploring & encoding it both inside and out in numerous ways in order to
investigate, in some depth, the nature of this four-dimensional, time-based
sculpture.
ACCOMMODATIONS
We will again take over the Churchyard Inn, a beautifully restored bed and
breakfast in the heart of the Northwest's wheat country, in Uniontown,
Washington. Uniontown is located about 90 miles south of Spokane, Washington and 16
miles north of Lewiston, Idaho (and 15 miles from both Pullman, Washington --
home of Washington State University and Moscow, Idaho -- home of University of
Idaho).

Participants will stay at the Inn and have 24-hour-a-day (if you want!) work
space in the large social hall where classes will be held every day. Your fees
include a breakfast buffet each morning, a lunch buffet every day, 2 dinners
(Sunday and Thursday) and snacks and beverages each day.

Uniontown, situated near the Snake River and Hell's Canyon, is a tiny, old
Western farm town. It has a couple of antique stores, Eleanor's, known around
the region for its good bar food, including great burgers, and a recently
restored historical building housing the Sage Baking Company, an excellent artisan
bakery and coffee house. Moscow, Pullman and Lewiston offer a wider range of
fare from fast to slow, down home to gourmet. Driving to any of these nearby
towns offers incredible scenery and photo ops.

LIMITED ENROLLMENT
We will be limited to 10 participants with a minimum of 6. The Inn has 7
guest rooms with a total of 11 beds, so some room sharing may be required if we
have full enrollment. There is another small bed and breakfast in Uniontown and
hotels in neighboring towns, but if past participants' comments hold any
weight, they all loved staying at the Inn and enjoyed the scenic beauty and retreat
atmosphere.

COSTS
The workshop fee is $500 and includes all materials other than your personal
tools and favorite art-making materials.

Room and board is $700 per person (single occupancy) and includes 5 nights
lodging, 5 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners, snacks and beverages for 4 days,
gratuity for meals and sales tax. An additional fee of $123.00 will be added to
cover meals for another participant sharing a room. (Spouses who are
self-entertaining and want to see the sights while you immerse yourself in books are
welcome and may partake of all the meals for the additional fee as well.)

Transportation is additional. Spokane is served by most major airlines.
Lewiston and Pullman/Moscow also have regional airports with more limited service.
We are checking into airport shuttle services, but rental cars are readily
available.

DEADLINE FOR RESERVATIONS
To hold a space for you, we will need your reservation with a $60
nonrefundable deposit by March 26, 2004. We will email confirmation and a supply list
upon receipt.
Checks should be payable to Timothy Ely and mailed to:
504 N. Mill St.
Colfax, WA 99111

PAYMENT
Full payment is required ahead of the workshop.
You may pay the balance of $1140 all at once, no later than May 15 or 3
installments of $380 each, by April 1, May 1 and June 1.
Payment is by check to Timothy Ely, address above.

QUESTIONS/MORE INFORMATION
If you would like more information, please call me at 509.397.3573 between 9
and 5 Pacific time, or email me at axt1221@xxxxxxxx (Please be sure to put
"summer workshops" in the subject line to avoid spam filters.)

Please forward this information to anyone you know who might be interested.

I look forward to seeing you "On the Palouse" this June!
Timothy Ely