[BKARTS] Enzymes

Guten Tag Chris!
I would suggest that you contact Mark Vine @ 100436.3447@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Conservation Resources UK; they carry an enzyme, Neutrase, which is often
effective with protein based adhesives and Ban 120 which can be useful with starch
based adhesive removal.
Your difficulty may well be due to the fact that animal glues were often
mixed with a starch based adhesive resulting in formidable cross linking over
time. In such cases I have had success using the Albertina Compress made by Walter
Klug GmbH and Co. KG, Badeweg 9 / Postbox 134, 1D-87509 Immenstadt, +49 08323
965330, Fax: +49 08323 7287, info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
http://www.klug-conservation.com/ en_archivierungsbedarf-albertinakompresse.shtml. This amylase
poulticing system can act to break down the starch components of a mixed
adhesive, converting them to water soluble peptides and thus easing removal of the
animal glue component.
Enzymes are not a magic wand; to be truly effective they must be used under
carefully controlled conditions including the difficult question of complete
neutralization and removal of the enzyme used. They should be considered only as
a very last option.
Have you tried the use of steam on a vacuum table?
Unless the adhesive residue poses a real risk to the integrity of the paper
there is always the good sense of leaving well enough alone. I understand the
desire to please our clients but at a certain point old things must be allowed
to be old, wrinkles and all.
All best,
James